Saturday, September 29, 2007

Work sucks

Work has been really stressful lately. I am a pastry chef and I LOVE to bake and do cakes. While I was prego with Gabe I didn't have a job for awhile and after he passed away I needed a low stress easy job. So I decided to apply at my local grocery store for a cake decorator position. At first it was perfect-part time, no major responsibilities, low stress and easy. After a little time and they discovered my manager experience, my schooling, and my work experience, they started pushing me towards a full time position. It required supervising a few employees, doing ordering, inventory, etc... I didn't want it and I tried to resist, but I am easily persuaded, which gets me into trouble, and in June I told them yes. Since then, we have had our busiest season in the stores history, been shorthanded, and lost one of our managers. I have had to pick up the slack and it was really wearing on me.

Anyway, after much debate with myself, and after my freak out the other day, I decided I couldn't do this to myself anymore. If I wanted responsibility I would have gone to a real bakery, I didn't even intend to work here more than a few months. The only part timer I have left put in her two weeks notice last week and we still can't find anyone to fill any of the positions, which was one of the last straws. Today I told my manager I was demoting myself until the baby is born at which time I am leaving and probably not coming back. She was not happy at all, but I am so relieved. I gave her my revised availability which gives me at least 3 days off! I also warned her that as the pregnancy progressed I would slowly be cutting my hours. I have so much to do at my house before Makayla makes her appearance and I want to enjoy this pregnancy. The stress has really been catching up with me lately as all I do is work and sleep. I think I will be much happier now with more time to do the things I want and need to.

No comments: